Saturday 11 July 2015

Basic Eggless Sponge Cake

I have always loved basic sponge cake since my childhood...It has lot of nice memories from my childhood days with friends.
During our summer break, friends used to give a surprise visit to my place in the evenings, it was something like a written agreement, that we would spend our evenings chatting and laughing loud with these sponge cake, sev, crisps and fruit juices.  Those were the days, I still miss.
Those evenings I can never forget, there was something soo special, even today I cherish and relish.
So whenever I thought of baking a sponge cake, I was looking for a perfect sponge cake, which would take me to those lovely nostalgic days.
Tried a lot of recipes, but never happy, I wanted a stronger real vanilla flavour in my cake.
So tried this recipe from a blog,which I was really happy about and took me to those  days.
I have made some changes to the original recipe, but you can click here for the original recipe.
I have replaced butter with oil to get lighter and fluffier cakes, but you can add same quantity of melted butter.
Adding butter makes cake denser.
I haven't added any sugar to the cake, but you can reduce the condensed milk to 300 grams and add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.


Ingredients:
Cake Flour  - 2 and 1/2 cups
Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons,
Bi Carbonate  of Soda - 1 teaspoon,
Salt - a pinch,
Sweetened Condensed milk - 1 tin(397 grams),
Water - 1 cup,
Vinegar - 2 tablespoons,
Pure Vanilla extract - 2 tablespoons,
Odourless Oil - 1/2 cup.







Method:
Pre-heat oven at 175 degree celcius.
Grease a nine inch cake tin with butter and line with a parchment paper and keep aside.
In a bowl sieve cake flour, baking powder, bi carbonate of soda and salt together and keep aside.
In a another bowl, add water and condensed milk and mix well.
Add vanilla essence and oil and mix well.
To this wet ingredients, add sieved flour mix in parts and mix gently.
Take care not to over mix.
Pour the batter into the greased tin and bake for 35- 40 minutes.
Again each oven differs, so keep an eye and check after 25 minutes.
Until a skewer comes clean when inserted.
Remove from oven, and let the cake be in tin for 10 more minutes.
Remove the cake on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Slice it and enjoy with your tea or coffee!!!!

Note:
To make cake flour, take a cup of plain flour, take two tablespoons of plain flour from the cup and replace it with 2 tablespoons of corn starch and sieve.
This  is  the cake flour.
Cake Flour will make cakes fluffier and lighter than just plain flour cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment