Saturday 21 December 2013

Eggless Plum Cake/Dry fruit Cake

Plum Cake is one of my favourite cakes, even my husband's.
I always wanted to bake this cake without rum and eggs.
I still remember when I was little, my dad use to spoil me, with these plum cakes. I have very fond memories of plum cake of my childhood.
I was trying different recipes but nothing came close.
Then I came across different recipes of cakes of sanjeev kapoor, but many had eggs in them.
Then again I sat with a scratch pad and pen and started chocking out what measure of ingredients and egg replacer, to get the right texture and taste of plum cake.
I tried them with the measurements I has scribbled , voila they gave me a perfect Plum cake in taste as well in texture. So here I am sharing it now.

Ingredients:
Dry Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour - 2 cups,
Baking Powder - 11/2 teaspoons,
Bio Carbonate of Soda - 11/2 teaspoons,
Clove Powder - 1/2 teaspoon,
Nutmeg Powder - 1/2 teaspoon,
Cinnamon Powder - 1 teaspoon.

Wet Ingredients:
Unsalted Butter - 100 grams in room temperature,
Powdered Sugar - 6 tablespoons,
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 400 grams,
Milk - 1 cup room temperature,
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 teaspoon,

Dry Fruit Mix:
Dates, Cashew, Almonds, Raisins, Pistachio, tutti fruiti and any other dry fruits you need - 1Cup.
Mix the dry fruits with a tablespoon of plain flour and keep aside.
This is to ensure that the dry fruits do not sink to the bottom of the cake.




Method:
Pre Heat Oven at 180 degree celsius/gas mark 4.
Sieve together all the dry ingredients twice, to ensure the flours are lump free.
Start with creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add condensed milk and beat well to blend.
Slowly add the milk and mix well.
Add vanilla essence and mix.
Now slowly add the dry ingredients and fold gently as to not air out the mixture.
Make sure the flours are well folded.
Now gently fold the dry fruits and do not over mix.
Grease  an 8 inch baking tray and pour the batter gently to the tin.
Bake it for 35 - 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Remove from oven, cool for five minutes and place it on a wire rack and cool it completely.
Cut into slices and serve and enjoy.

Note:
All the ingredients especially milk and butter should be in room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. In case I use demerara sugar..in what quantity should I use and can I skip condensed milk in that case? Also do we need to boil the dry fruit n nut mixture to soften them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://lvcreation.blogspot.com/2013/12/sweet-pumpkin-or-yellow-pumpkin-dal.html?showComment=1639568234404#c1538396864914104818

    ReplyDelete